To install spotify on linux there is two options :
1) Install the native application
- The problem is that the free version is not available
2) Install the windows version under wine
- This way you can use the free version
This is how i installed it in Ubuntu 12.04 under wine
- Open the terminal and install playonlinux. “sudo apt-get install playonlinux”
- When it finishes installing type “playonlinux” to run it
- Click on install and select spotify from the Multimedia tab
- Click install
- Chose download program or use a setup file in my computer if you have already downloaded it
- Spotify will launch (hopefully) but the playonlinux install dialog will remain open.
- To fix this bug you have to manually kill the spotify process.
- Open up another terminal window and type ‘top’
- A list of process will appear look for the one with the command ” Spotify.exe”
- Press ‘k’
- ‘PID to kill:’ will appear. Enter the PID that corresponds to the process you looked for.
- Press enter again
- The playonlinux install should now complete and you can add a shortcut to your desktop by clicking the shortcut button in the playonlinux gui.
disclaimer: I’m a relative linux noob, so this might not work for everyone, but it worked for me.